170 Elegant Terns - Ballena Bay, Alameda

VerneN

Yesterday (Sunday) at Ballena Bay was amazing. About 170 Elegant Terns lined the seawall waiting out high tide. In addition on the seawall and nearby were (approximately)-
Forster's Terns - 40
Black Turnstones - 20
Yellowlegs - 5
Willets, Kingfisher, Cormorant, Spotted Sandpiper, Great Blue Heron, gulls

Overhead Brown Pelicans glided by in small groups.

Here's a picture of the Elegants relanding on the seawall after what I call a fun flight. It's when all of them suddenly take to the air, circle for awhile and reland. I think it exercises their wings during the wait for low tide.

https://bit.ly/2kEF4Dd