OVENBIRD -- Miller/Knox regional shoreline this morning (9/14)

Phred Benham

Hi all,
I had an OVENBIRD this morning in Miller/Knox regional shoreline. I saw the bird in the east end of the boardwalk at about 9:15 am, here: 37.915932, -122.383025

I saw the bird for only about 30 sec atop a blackberry tangle before it dropped back down into the thicket. And before I could obtain photos. A complete description can be found in my eBird checklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59798733

I spent another 30 minutes in the area trying to re-find the bird without success. At one point I thought I may have seen it fly north towards a patch of willows, but I am uncertain.

Otherwise it was a birdy morning with a number of migrants and returning winter birds. Other highlights include an early GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW, LINCOLN’S SPARROW, AMERICAN PIPIT, PINE SISKIN (flying over Nicholl Knob).

The Ovenbird may be a tough bird to re-find, but best of luck to anyone who tries. The place where I originally spotted it and patches of scrub along trails heading uphill would all be worth checking.

Good birding!
Phred Benham
Pt. Richmond, CA

Phred M. Benham
NSF Postdoctoral Fellow
Museum of Vertebrate Zoology
University of California, Berkeley

Join EBB-Sightings@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.