OVENBIRD -- Miller/Knox regional shoreline this morning (9/14)

Phred Benham

Hi all,
I had an OVENBIRD this morning in Miller/Knox regional shoreline. I saw the bird in the east end of the boardwalk at about 9:15 am, here: 37.915932, -122.383025

I saw the bird for only about 30 sec atop a blackberry tangle before it dropped back down into the thicket. And before I could obtain photos. A complete description can be found in my eBird checklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59798733

I spent another 30 minutes in the area trying to re-find the bird without success. At one point I thought I may have seen it fly north towards a patch of willows, but I am uncertain.

Otherwise it was a birdy morning with a number of migrants and returning winter birds. Other highlights include an early GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW, LINCOLN’S SPARROW, AMERICAN PIPIT, PINE SISKIN (flying over Nicholl Knob).

The Ovenbird may be a tough bird to re-find, but best of luck to anyone who tries. The place where I originally spotted it and patches of scrub along trails heading uphill would all be worth checking.

Good birding!
Phred Benham
Pt. Richmond, CA

Phred M. Benham