Re: Semipalmated Sandpiper near Meeker Slough

Logan Kahle

Hey Bob,

The straight, decently long bill, rufous scaps, and lack of defined blunt tip to the bill all suggest juvenile Western, not Semipalmated, to me.

Good birding,
Logan

On Sep 1, 2019, at 11:25 AM, Bob Toleno <@birdnerdbob> wrote:

Yesterday evening, about three hours after high tide, Juli Chamberlin and i
found a juvenile Semipalmated Sandpiper feeding on the bay mudflats between
Meeker Slough and the 51st St entrance to the Bay Trail. It was loosely
associating with Least Sandpipers. Photos in our eBird checklist below. We
also saw at least 14 Red-necked Phalaropes on the pond nearby.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59415026

Good birding,
Bob Toleno
Hayward