Eden Landing 08-14-19 (Alameda County)

Matthew Dodder

Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society was treated to an incredible tour of the historic Eden Landing Salt Works and Snowy Plover survey area by SFBBO’s resident expert Ben Pearl this past Wednesday.

During the three mile in the sun and heat, Ben discussed the techniques used to band and monitor the threatened birds. He explained the pressures that have led to their decline, including their predators as well as changes to their habitat. He then led us to a restricted area where we observed many Snowy Plovers and their adorable puffball chicks! We learned about the history and the importance of this fragile and complicated area, and the work being done to protect the birds. It was wonderfully informative!

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58989441

We look forward to another visit to this area next year to check in again with Paul an the Snowy Plovers!

Matthew Dodder
Executive Director
Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society
22221 McClellan Rd.