Mt. Diablo Audubon trip to Frank's Dump August 5

rosita94598

For a glorious end to another day in the paradise, 18 participants made a late walk to Frank's Dump at Hayward Regional Shoreline and were not disappointed.  Shorebirds were thick, concentrated by the high tide which pushed them off the edge of the bay.  Willets, Marbled Godwits Western Sandpipers and Black-bellied Plovers predominated, but we also had lots of Red Knots, plenty of California Gulls, a few Short-billed Dowitchers and three Red-necked Phalaropes.  A single Ruddy Turnstone was seen by some, 2 Caspian Terns and single Western and Ring-billed Gulls were also present. But a big surprise was 4 Black Skimmers flying north over the bay as we were walking back to the cars.  With other birds seen while walking, our list finished at 38 species for the evening.

Hugh B. Harveywalnut Creek