Common Tern Ballena Bay

Patricia Bacchetti

Today at 1 PM, just after high tide, Judith Dunham and I saw an adult Common Tern on the breakwater along with 2 Least and 4 Elegant Terns. There were a few Black Turnstones and Black Oystercatchers, as well as a Spotted Sandpiper, on the breakwater.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58527308

According to a resident, we missed the big Elegant Tern fly-out at Elsie Roemer by a couple of hours this morning. There were a few terns present when we were there at 11:45, but no where near the numbers in recent reports. The early bird gets the terns!

Patricia Bacchetti
Oakland