Re: Continuing Bar-tailed Godwit in Oro Lomo Marsh, Alameda County

Bruce Mast

Holly,
Great outing today. FYI, after studying the photos a bit, I'm reasonably
confident we were seeing mostly Short-billed Dowitchers. Didn't notice any
obvious Long-billed in the photos.

Bruce

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 9:08 PM Bruce Mast <cathrasher4@...> wrote:

Good evening Birders,
Quick update to let you know the Bar-tail Godwit remained today with the
large flock of Marbled Godwits, Willets, and dowitchers at the high tide
roost in Oro Lomo Marsh. The marsh is part of Hayward Regional Shoreline.
Access the spot via Winton Ave. or Grant Ave. entrance. About the same
distance either way, though Winton Ave. lets you check out Frank's Dump
along the way. Bird was first found yesterday by Bob Toleno and Juli
Chamberlin as part of an Ohlone Audubon field trip. Bob's coordinates,
37.658864, -122.157597, worked well today.

Holly Bern and I arrived on site around 4 pm, preceded by Derrick Heins
and James (last name?). A Peregrine working the area scared up most of the
flock but a small number of Godwits remained behind. Holly picked out the
bird at 4:25. We watched it preen and loaf for at least an hour. We got to
see the underwing pattern (though no photo) showing black and white
barring, indicative of Siberian race.

Also with the flock was an interesting Surfbird in breeding plumage. Not a
common sight in the Bay Area.

Photos of godwits, dowitchers, and surfbird at

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58385355

Bird on,

Bruce Mast
Oakland