Pt. Pinole Lazuli Buntings

Sheila Dickie

Yesterday, July 5, at 4 p.m. I saw two male Lazuli Buntings flying back and forth across the Sobrante Trail at Pt. Pinole Regional Shoreline Park. The Sobrante Trail runs along one side of the Atlas Parking lot. The sighting which was a first for me at this park was near the trail's junction with Cooks Point Trail. Also seen, in a large tree at the intersection of the two trails, a Nuttall's Woodpecker, a species that I had not seen or heard in the park for a long time. Very breezy out there yesterday with low numbers except for 14 Double-crested Cormorants out on the old pier pilings at the Point, two Black Oystercatchers also on the old pier, and a flyover of 5 Snowy Egrets. Tree and Cliff Swallows also flying about at high speed out near the Whittell Marsh and Pier.

Sheila Dickie
Richmond