Re: Sandwich Tern (6/16/2019) - photos

John Sterling

I received a text message from an expert who I totally trust who saw the bird and determined that it was a hybrid. I’ll let him comment but just wanted to get the word out. Several records in recent years in California have proven to be hybrids. I’m in China so I haven’t seen the bird.
John Sterling
530 908-3836
26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695

On Jun 17, 2019, at 10:26 AM, Jerry Ting via Groups.Io <jtnikon=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

As Bob Toleno stated in his previous posts, the Sandwich Tern reported by Bob Richmond and John Luther continued to be seen in the tern colony pond in Hayward Marsh that can be seen (using a scope) from the Least Tern sign and spent most of the time preening on the south side of the island (37.630029, -122.144366) on northeast of the Least Tern island. I have included 2 distant shots of the bird in my eBird report in which you can see the yellowish tip on the dark bill and dark legs.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57431258

Happy Birding,
Jerry Ting
Fremont