Re: Possible Orchard Oriole at Coyote Hills

Teale Fristoe

The bird was by itself. I also thought the bill looked small, but I never
know if I should trust myself on those kinds of subjective judgements.
Everyone who responded to my post privately (thanks again!) said Hooded
Oriole, and a couple of folks with more experience than me suggested that
it was a juvenile, so I figured that was the correct id.

Teale Fristoe
Berkeley

On Sun, Jun 9, 2019 at 8:38 AM Bruce Mast <cathrasher4@...> wrote:

That bill looks rather short to me for a Hooded Oriole. I see on
iNaturalist that the hypothesis has been offered that the bird is a
fledgling Hooded, thus shorter billed and brighter wingbars. It's early
June--was the bird by itself? In my neighborhood, the Hooded Oriole family
travels around together as a loose flock until late summer. I haven't
noticed any fledglings yet.

Bruce Mast
Oakland

On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 10:04 PM Teale Fristoe <fristoe@...> wrote:

Today a friend and I went on a long walk through Coyote Hills. Near the
junction of Crandall Creek Trail and Alameda Creek Trail, we noticed a
small yellow bird on a power line. My friend posted a photo of the bird to
iNaturalist: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/26304442

Is this an expected Hooded Oriole, or could it be a female Orchard Oriole?
It appears to be uniformly yellow, lacking grayish flanks, and the white
wing bars look fairly defined.

Note: As I was writing this email, some folks on iNat decided the bird is
Bullock's Oriole, which seems wrong to me given the clearly yellow belly.
welcome any thoughts you have on the id.

Happy birding,
Teale Fristoe
Berkeley