Green-Tailed Towhee, MP 5.75 Mines Road

scflef@...

A white-edged Blue-Gray Tanager, a bird of South America, continued this morning at Veterans Park in Livermore. Both parks, Sycamore (on Wetmore) and Veterans (on Arroyo), which adjoin, were closed today for fire training, but I was able to see the bird in the Veterans parking lot by standing on the shoulder of the road and looking into the sycamores through the chain link fence. I looked around for about 15 minutes and I think it actually found me. It seemed curious and friendly as would be expected for an escaped pet.
A female Wood Duck with at least 8 ducklings was swimming around below the white bridge up the road, and at least 3 Ash-Throated Flycatchers were at the end of the road by the Del Valle parking lot.
I moved on to Mines Road around 12:45 PM and found Rufous-Crowned Sparrows at MP 6.2. Just down the road, two Phainopeplas were flying around at MP 5.75 where I also saw several California Thrashers. I was scanning across the thrashers when suddenly a Green-Tailed Towhee with bright greenish-gold wings, long greenish-gold tail, and rufous crest flared, popped up flipping its tail up and down.

Stephanie Floyd
Fremont