Chabot Regional Park--Clyde Woolridge Entrance

Judith Dunham

I stumbled upon another spot in the East Bay hills with little eBird coverage. The Clyde Woolridge Staging Area of Anthony Chabot Regional Park had only 39 checklists over all years. Lydia Huang and I made it 40 this morning with our 5.8-mile hike.

We started at the staging area where Skyline Boulevard meets Grass Valley Road. From there we went down Jackson Grade to the Cascade Trail, which we took all the way to the northern arm of the lake. The habitat is diverse, typical of Chabot: grassland, oak woodland, and bay trees and dense vegetation filling the canyon through which Grass Valley Creek flows.

Our FOS species were SWAINSON'S THRUSH and CASSIN'S VIREO. Birdsong was continuous: Black-headed Grosbeak, Wilson's Warbler, Warbling Vireo. The bonus was a nice selection of wildflowers, including a number of globe lilies.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55971806

Judith Dunham
Berkeley, CA