Black-chinned Hummingbirds, Pleasant Hill, Lafayette, etc. (and Blue Grosbeaks Bethel)

Ethan Monk

Hi All,

It has become better known in recent years that Black-chinned Hummingbird populations exist in small numbers off Happy Valley Road in Lafayette and over a slightly larger area in West Pleasant Hill. The Contra Costa Breeding Bird Atlas ('98-'02) never documented any birds of this species in the general area, possibly either because of the species' extreme locality in the area/lack of coverage or a recent range expansion into these locales. Presumably the former is true, considering a year or so back, I had a conversation with a lifelong birder who spent his childhood years (the '80s, I believe) in Pleasant Hill (he now lives out of state) who mentioned recording Black-chinned Hummingbirds at his feeder multiple times a summer. I tried to refind the emails I exchanged with him to find a more precise location, that way I could check and see if they still summer and/or breed close by (I'm sure Black-chinned Hummingbirds still breed somewhere in the general vicinity) but could not recover the emails. Maybe I deleted them? Whatever the case, I was wondering if anyone who reads this has a) observed breeding evidence of this species in either Lafayette or Pleasant Hill or b) if anyone knows where I can find these birds without walking into private backyards so that I can attempt to confirm breeding, myself.

On another note, since I would like this thread to remain on EBB-Sightings so that it is visible to more people and not removed to EBB-Discussion (it seems rather superfluous to have two separate email groups that both discuss birds in the East Bay... We are the only listserve in the Bay Area--and possibly all of California--that actually segregates bird messages into different groups based on their subject matter) So, here are some bird sightings...

Sunday afternoon, I checked Bethel Island for any signs of migrant or breeder activity for a short hour or so. A quick report:
--On the West side of Bethel Road in the field immediately before the first willows shore up to the side of the road, there is a cooperative breeding pair of Blue Grosbeaks, countercalling. The male probably sings in the morning.
--The fields on the East side of Bethel Island Road that are flooded in winter remain flooded, although few shorebirds are currently using them. 3 Least Sands, 3 Killdeer, 3 Stilt and 9 Avocet.
--The bottlebrush at the end of Bethel Island road was productive as always hosting 5 Bullock's and 1 Hooded Oriole (no Black-chinned Hummingbirds to be seen).
--Piper Slough Willows were entirely devoid of migrant activity (probably partially due to the time of day) save Yellowthroats and one lingering basic plumaged Audubon's Warbler.

Good birding,
Ethan Monk

Join EBB-Sightings@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.