Mt. Diablo south gate to summit April 30

rosita94598

Today was the Mt. Diablo Audubon Society field trip up South Gate Road to the summit of Mt. Diablo.  While it was not the birdiest of trips, we had some really nice birds.  The hillside just outside the south kiosk was not particular productive, though we heard a Wrentit and a Lazuli Bunting was seen.  After driving to Rock City, our first bird was an Olive-sided Flycatcher practically in front of our parked cars.  It had large white flank patches, but it never sang.  In Rock City we also had Black-headed Grosbeaks, Ash-throated Flycatchers, Blue-gray Gnatcatchers and Western Tanagers.
The Junction Campground had Western Bluebirds and another Gnatcatcher.  Blue Oak and Pioneer each had California Thrashers.  Pioneer also had Spotted Towhee, Wrentit, another Grosbeak and a Hairy Woodpecker.  Only three warblers all day, one each of a Wilson's, Audubon's and Townsend's Warbler.
It was 44 species for the group of 8 participants.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek