Hammond’s Flycatcher, Canyon, Pinehurst Road

Patricia Bacchetti

Taking advantage of the beautiful weather Sunday, I birded Pinehurst Road from Oakland to the EBMUD Valle Vista Staging Area. Just before Canyon, a Western Tanger was singing in front of a residence. I couldn’t get a visual on it, but it was close by. In a deep patch of redwoods just past Canyon School, I heard and saw a Hammond’s Flycatcher. It took a minute for my ear to recognize the call because I hadn’t heard one since last year, but there it was. It was fly catching from a redwood branch and it called continuously. At the same spot, 3 Wilson’s Warblers were flitting around together, Warbling Vireos were singing, and several Pacific Slope Flycatchers were calling. Valle Vista had 2 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, initially seen on the northwestern, or Redwood Trail, going right from the entry gate. They were in the chaparral just before the Redwood Trail goes steeply uphill, and they were flying back and forth from the chaparral to the conifers on the opposite side of the trail. Later I found a pair in the oak trees and willows adjacent to the parking lot and Canyon Road. I’m presuming that they’re the same birds because they weren’t being seen at the original location. An Ash-throated Flycatcher was singing and visible in the parking area. There wasn’t an Easter Bunny in sight, though it was a good day for other migrants.

Patricia Bacchetti
Oakland