Re: Kennedy Grove Regional Rec Area--Overlooked Park?

Logan Kahle

Thanks for bringing this place to light, Judith,

This park is severely under-covered, but in my just two visits in the past couple years has proved very lucrative.

The park has a large diversity of trees, with large flowering bluegum eucs, old live oaks, a smattering of willow riparian, and a few patches of chaparral. It has had several good birds in the past, most notably a wintering Tennessee Warbler back in the '80s. The place has awesome potential, mostly in migration but also winter, if anyone is looking for a Berkeley Hills patch....

Good birding,

Logan

On 4/21/19 6:22 PM, judith_dnhm wrote:
After my friend Pam Peck and I hiked Kennedy Grove in El Sobrante this morning, I was surprised to see that the park has only 45 checklists on eBird covering all years. Then I had to kick myself: this morning's hike was my first visit ever to the park.

All the human action was in the large picnic area, where families were setting up for Easter. We hit the trail at 8:30 and did a 3-mile loop through woodland and chaparral over less than 3 hours, and ended with 32 species. Among the sightings: OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, WARBLING VIERO, WILSON'S WARBLER, and BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK. The highlight was a visible pair of CALIFORNIA THRASHERS on a hillside engaged in a duet. We encountered birdsong at every turn. The many wildflowers and butterflies were a bonus. The upper trails are narrow with good elevation gain.

We only ran into four other people on the trails. My eBird list describes our route: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55221297

Judith Dunham
Berkeley, CA