Re: Virginia Rail and Black-headed Grosbeaks at Jewel Lake, Tilden Nature Area on Apr 7

Tom McGuire <tomario@...>

Nice, Pam! I was fortunate enough a few months ago to spot Virginia Rail on Wildcat Creek along the Gorge Trail! I captured a movie, too, on my Youtube channel (gambolinman).
Tom McGuireBerkeley CA

On Sunday, April 7, 2019, 1:39:49 PM PDT, Pam Young via Groups.Io <pamyoung2=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

VIRGINIA RAIL and    BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAKS at Jewel Lake, Tilden Nature Area, April 7, 2019

The VIRGINIA RAIL's repeated and distinctive call was at Jewel Lake, Tilden Nature Area on the morning of Apr 7 and last week.
Vocalization was similar to this: https://ebird.org/media/catalog?taxonCode=virrai&mediaType=a®ion=California,%20United%20States%20(US)&regionCode=US-CA&q=Virginia%20Rail

And, BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAKS have returned - they’re both seen and heard along the Jewel Lake boardwalk.

Good birding!

Pam Young
Berkeley