Friday in Heather Farm Park, Walnut Creek and more

rosita94598

First of all, it had nothing to do with meeting me, but Derek Heins found the continuing Tropical KIngbird today.  His eBird list is here:  https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S54583509

We have been dodging the morning rains this week, but a lot of birds are out there to be seen.  The Ruby-crowned Kinglets are singing, Canada Geese have their first goslings in the concrete creek channel to the west of the park.  Rough-winged Swallows are flying over the big pond, and a few Barn and sometimes Violet-green Swallows, too.
The Ring-necked Ducks and Buffleheads which spent the winter with us have left, but today we had two male Ring-necked Ducks and one female Bufflehead.  Maybe they are heading north from even farther south than Walnut Creek.  Interestingly, what appears to be a young male Common Goldeneye has been staying around for quite a while, now.  The Double-crested Cormorants are also sticking around, but the waders have disappeared; no egrets, Night-Herons and no Green Heron.  The Green Herons may be around, though, as they have nested here annually for many years.
Yellow-rumped Warblers are changing colors and looking very sharp.  Not too far away on cherry Lane, Hooded Orioles have returned to some palm trees at Kings Oak Place.  They have also returned to Jean Richmond's backyard in Alamo.  The male flew across the yard and into the bird bath while I visited yesterday.  She also has her White-throated Sparrow continuing, and its colors are electric right now.
Pacific-slope Flycatchers are around, too.  We have had them on each of the last two MDAS field trips and Fred Safier had one on Seven Hills Ranch Road west of the park this morning.
Sprung is springing, time to go birding.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek