Castle Rock/Pine Canyon, this morning, 4/4/19

tracy_farrington

Despite the light drizzle, Castle Rock Park (Walnut Creek), and a little ways further up Pine Canyon, beyond the park,
conditions were quite birdy. On the south end of the ball field I found a group of 12 LARK SPARROWS. A bit
further on, I heard several WARBLING VIREOS, and had visuals on a couple of ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS.
Between the first cattle gate and the grassy berm opposite the Castle Rocks (where the Peregrines nest), I had
good visuals on 4 more Warbling Vireos, half dozen Orange-crowned Warblers, 6 WILSON'S WARBLERS, a brightly singing BROWN CREEPER,
2 HOUSE WRENS, an active WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH nest (old knot hole in a lower branch of the first oak
with the bench beneath it), and plenty of WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS and VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS, overhead.

Upon my return, about 200ft. before re-entering the park/recreation area, bird activity in the stream-side thicket (east side of the trail)
was notable. While literally standing still for about 15 minutes, I had another Wilson's, 2 Warbling Vireos, 2 more Orange-crowns, a WESTERN BLUEBIRD
pair, a BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER, 1 NASHVILLE WARBLER, a LINCOLN'S SPARROW, a very bright YELLOW-RUMPED (Myrtle),
and a CALIFORNIA THRASHER.

There were good numbers of both WHITE-CROWNED and GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS, flitting through the growth.
And who should make an appearance? Popping into view, jumping from ground to a small shrub, was the HARRIS'S SPARROW.
I believe this is the furthest south from the grassy ball field area that it's been seen.

It's a birdsong lab up there, folks.

Good birding,
Tracy Farrington