Cassin's Vireo and other migrants at Sunol

Philip Georgakakos

Hi Everyone,

I had a pretty great day of birding at Sunol today, migrants have arrived and many birds are singing. Also, the oaks and willows are starting the leaf out, and the first wildflowers are out. I started around 10 finished at 3.

My route was: visitor’s center -> Flag Hill -> High Valley Camp -> Cave Rocks Road -> Cerro Este Overlook -> back to the parking lot via McCorkle and Canyon View trail. Total of around 7 miles.

Notable sightings
Cassin’s Vireo singing around the visitor’s center
Warbling Vireos(2) near the creek
Big numbers of Orange-crowned warblers ~15
Horned Larks at Cerro Este Overlook
Yellow-billed magpies(2) off Cave Rocks Road
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers off McCorkle trail.

53 species on the day, full list here:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S54354526

Hope everyone can get out this weekend and enjoy the weather!
Phil Georgakakos
Oakland