Richmond Ridgway's Rails

Sheila Dickie

Yesterday, March 26, at 3 p.m. I was walking down the Richmond Bay Trail and came to the bridge just north of the 51st Street path and looked West a few yards to see a Ridgway's Rail on the mud preening. Next thing I saw was another rail swimming towards what turned out to be 'her'. They vocalized and then he came up the bank and they mated. Both then continued grooming and he also bathed. As I walked south to the 51st Street path another Ridgway's Rail swam East-West in the channel on my left.

The Snow Goose and its attendant eight Greater White-fronted Geese were on the lawn in the Richmond Harbor near the Rosie the Riveter Memorial along with a good number of Canada Geese.

Sheila Dickie
Richmond