Surfbirds in San Leandro

Hilary Powers

This morning near low tide, about a dozen Surfbirds were working the rocky sand at the south end of the San Leandro Marina. They were just off the Bay side of the loop trail that runs out from the southern parking lot, between the shore and the lower of the two islands.

That was more individuals than anyone in the Tuesday4Birds group had ever seen at one time, and they were in a huge mixed group - all the usual shore birds, plus more Black Turnstones than we'd seen together before, a couple of Black Oystercatchers, and a black-bellied Black-bellied Plover.

The Surfbirds left before we did, but they might be back for another low tide....

--
~ Hilary Powers - Hilary@... - Oakland CA ~ ~ www.salamanderfeltworks.com; www.Etsy.com/shop/SalamanderFeltworks ~ ~ Needle Felted Sculpture - Real and Fantasy Creatures ~