Re: UC Berkeley Peregrine Falcons - eggs warm enough?

Carolyn Arnold

Is anyone else watching these falcons? Would you like to have a discussion about what we see?

Right now, I”m wondering if the eggs are being kept warm enough, since both parents have left the eggs for up to an hour or so alone, even on these cold nights.
I thought that the eggs needed to be kept warm all the time to incubate.

Also, peregrines usually have 3 eggs, laid 48 hours apart. That is about now, so I’m watching!

Happy birding, or watching cams,
Carolyn in Oakland

On Mar 20, 2019, at 11:38 AM, Carolyn Arnold <carnold@...> wrote:

Thank you Anne! The second egg appeared sometime this morning, I think just before 8 am!
The cam lets you go back up to 4 hours, and you can see the eggs at 8:00, 9:41, and 10:48, and 11:18.
It looks like dad came in soon after the egg was laid, and relieved mom for an hour to go feed.
Since then, it’s been mom sitting…

With a 29-33 incubation period, that means hatching sometime starting the week of April 15th..

On Mar 19, 2019, at 5:33 PM, Anne Krysiak <vakrysiak@...> wrote:

The Peregrine Family nesting on the Campanile has laid it's first egg of 2019.
You can watch the nestcam at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaJuC-rxVAQ.
The outside camera is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5BofDM7eAQ