Nutall's woodpecker returns. Oakland Laurel - the Female has arrived

Marcus

This morning, heard the tapping and grabbed my camera and checked. No bird but did hear a distant tap. Then a few minutes later the female showed up and started tapping around the same places the male was yesterday, paying particular attention to one spot.  So question here, to they smell freshly pierced wood, does the male leave a scent or taste?

No construction debris yet. I do have pics but can't deal with them until later.

Marcus Pun
Video Editor / Producer/Editor / Camera
C: 510-384-8085 | H: 510-530-2507
Oakland, CA

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 4:28:34 PM PDT, Marcus <scrod2000@...> wrote:

Late morning, a few minutes of banging on the tree.  Extra loud.  Then flew away. Signal time?

I was correct about the local plum blossoms. They did not burst out until teh last week of February and it took then a while to fully bloom so indeed a more normal start to the year - as global warming did indeed push thing earlier except for this year.