Heather Farm Friday March 8

rosita94598

Tracy Farrington wrote before 8 AM that he had Violet-green Swallows over the big pond at Heather Farm Park in Walnut Creek's Ygnacio Valley.  I did not leave the house until about 9:30 and by that time it was fairly windy.  No Violet-green Swallows for me, in fact I had a hard time finding my usual sparrows.

But I rode my bike past the equestrian area and around the corner to the entry gate of the private Seven Hills School.  Rough-winged Swallows were flying over this pond, which we call the Seven Hills Pond.  Along the closest edge of this concrete pond is a single smaller oak tree.  While looking at the swallows, I found the Tropical Kingbird perched in the lower right branches of this tree.  It hawked insects several times while I watched.

A couple of Ring-necked Ducks remain on the big pond, along with Buffleheads and a single Common Goldeneye.

A gorgeous Red-shouldered Hawk landed on one of the light poles along north San Carlos, the street which runs the length of the park.

Hugh B. Harvey