Short-eared Owls Martinez

rosita94598

Took a late drive to Waterfront Road in Martinez today and drove east, crossed the railroad tracks and parked at the TransMontaigne Pipeline trailhead just before 5 PM.  I walked way out and spent quite a bit of time waiting while dusk unfolded.  White-tailed Kites, Northern Harriers, and at least one Turkey Vulture kept me looking, but finally I had two Short-eared Owls flying pretty far out there.  From my angle, they were toward the tanker dock for the Tosco refinery at Avon.  By the time I made it back to the car it had been at least 1-1/4 hours, but I was able to escape any rain.  It was an enjoyable evening.

A warning though about driving Waterfront Road right now.  There are several flooded areas and the entry for the TransMontaigne parking area is more than a foot deep.  This is definitely not for the faint of heart.

Hugh B. Harvey