Re: GGAS First Friday Bird Walk, February 1, 2019 Tilden Nature Area

George A Suennen

Alan,

Thanks for leading another informative bird walk.  As usually you imparted us with information that was of great interest.

I took a few photos and put them on my site, including the Red-breasted Sapsucker, Hooded Merganser, some very cooperative Brown Creepers, and some discrete, yet suggestive shots of the Red-shoulders Hawks.   http://birds.avianist.com/2019/190201-Jewel-Lake

I also have some photos from my trip to South Africa last month.  http://birds.avianist.com/2018/1812-South-Africa
Went to meet the new in-laws, but managed to get a few bird photos in and around Cape Town.

Best Regards,
George

On 2/1/2019 9:49 PM, Alan Kaplan wrote:
Friends!

Tilden Nature Area, Contra Costa, California, US
Feb 1, 2019 8:30 AM - 11:30 AM

Golden Gate Audubon Society, First Friday Birdwalk, February 1, 2019, Tilden Nature Area. To Jewel Lake by the road and back by the Lower Pack Rat Trail.

Today's theme was Winter Survival of Birds, especially  pertinent this week with the extreme weather in the Midwest a concern for birds and those who love them!

 I will post the notes at EBB-Discussion@groups.io

We had a pair of Red-shouldered Hawks "in copulo" at the TNA entrance, a pair of Hooded Mergansers at Jewel Lake, and the Red-breasted Sapsucker continues at the cotoneaster behind the first picnic table at the "blue placard" parking spaces near the entrance. Allen’s Hummingbird has returned, as predicted by the flowering of the Pink-flowering currant.

28 species were seen by 41 observers.

View the checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52281693

Best of Boids!

Alan Kaplan