Martinez area birds Thursday Jan. 31

rosita94598

Mt. Diablo Audubon Society had a very successful field trip to the Martinez area today. We birded McNabney Marsh from the north and south, a bit of the Pt. Edith Trail from the TransMontaigne Pipeline, and parts of Martinez Regional Shoreline near the marina along the river. When I left, our 23 participants had seen/heard 77 species.

Highlights include 3 falcon species, Merlin, Am Kestrel and a Peregrine Falcon which landed on one of the islands in McNabney Marsh. We had 14 species of waterfowl, which included up to 12 Blue-winged Teals in the south end of McNabney along the entry road to Mt. View Sanitary. We also had a Caspian Tern flying near the old ferry pier at the Martinez Marina. This was the second of this species seen on our field trips in less than a week. Another was seen last Saturday at Shollenberger Park in Petaluma.

The 5 gull species included a young Glaucous-winged Gull and 3 Thayer's (now Iceland) Gulls, all seen from the south observation platform for McNabney Marsh.

Hugh B. Harvey