Pt. Richmond Herring Spawn, Friday, 1/25

Judith Dunham

Upon reading Ryan Bartling's post on the herring spawn at Pt. Richmond this morning, Charlie and I motored from the Berkeley Marina to Brooks Island, arriving around 10 a.m. Much of the feasting may have concluded, but thousands of birds were present along the shoreline and breakwater and in the bay. It was a nice surprise to see a group of 17 BRANT among the scaup.

The following eBird record has conservative estimates and includes some passable photos taken on my Canon-ito to show a fraction of the abundance. We stayed at a distance from the assembly, hence numbers designated to gull sp, cormorant sp, etc.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52032881

Judith Dunham
Berkeley, CA