Martinez Waterfront Friday afternoon

rosita94598

Walt Duncan and I made a short trip to the Martinez area yesterday afternoon and had some good birds.

Starting from Arnold Industrial Rd and looking through the north fence of Central Sanitary, we had Mew Gulls and at least one Bonaparte's Gull.

The south end of McNabney Marsh from the entry road to Mt. View Sanitary had plenty of Greater Yellowlegs, a Northern Pintail, lots of Green-winged Teals and 4 male Blue-winged Teal. Northern Shovelers were abundant. White Pelicans, too.

From the north side of McNabney Marsh we had 12-15 male Cinnamon Teal, plus American Avocets, and many more Shovelers and GW Teals. A Kingfisher was on the wires along the RR tracks, a Great-tailed Grackle was seen by Walt, and an American Kestrel was on the hill above the parking lot.

At Waterbird Pond we had a pair of Hooded Mergansers and a handful of other birds.

The TransMontaigne Pipeline entrance had a White-tailed Kite and a Merlin on the snag right by the road. Another Kingfisher was farther east toward the refinery at Avon.

We visited Martinez Reg Shoreline, too, walking out to the hulk of the SS Forester. We had up to 150 Common Goldeneys on the river between there and the Ozol pier, one female Canvasback, a Spotted Sandpiper along the river edge and a Song Sparrow, Western Gull and Snowy Egret on the hulk.

Hugh B. Harvey