Heather Farm New Year's Day

rosita94598

It was a crisp morning for us as we circled the pond today. Not as many Buffleheads and Ring-necked Ducks today, but we had plenty of Double-crested Cormorants. On the lawn south of the concrete pond were gulls and Canada Geese. The gulls were almost evenly split between Mew and Ring-billed.

Many of the usual passerines were seen, including a Fox Sparrow and American Goldfinches.

As Fred and I walked the CC Canal trail toward the concrete channel of Walnut Creek, we had a Cackling Goose and a pair of Hooded Mergansers in the pond near the Seven Hills School.

Happy New Year.

Hugh B. Harvey