Heather Farm 12-31

David Kent

My last wander around Heather Farm for 2018 started cold and windy. Ran into Hugh Harvey at the railing and Fred Safier with whom I walked back to the canal. Did I mention that it was windy? ...and chilly? Little was stirring (at first) not even a mouse! Except for the Canada Geese (and 1 Cackling Goose), at least 30 Double-crested Cormorants, and the usual assortment of other waterfowl.

However, after about an hour the wind started dying down and the birdies came out!

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51122345 https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51122345

Of note for HF were a Red-tailed Hawk over the canal and a Turkey Vulture soaring over the natural lake. The (probably) resident Common Gallinule came out of the reeds, showing a lot of red on its shield. The continuing Tropical Kingbird was hawking insects over the cement pond. Six Black-crowned Night Herons were dozing on and about the island. A Belted Kingfisher was heard. A lone Red-winged Blackbird showed up on the west side. We heard a few spring songs, as opposed to the practice notes we have been hearing, and the American Goldfinches are showing a bit more yellow.

Happy New Year everyone!

Dave Kent