Heather Farm in Walnut Creek

rosita94598

Despite the cold, some interesting observations have been made in Heather Farm Park the last week or so. We have fairly regularly seen a Fox Sparrow on the west side of the big pond, coming out to the seeds I toss for the other sparrows and the occasional squirrel.

The numbers of ducks varies day-to-day and even throughout the day. Today we had 65 Ring-necked Ducks and I counted 25 Buffleheads. Other days they are smaller numbers. By the afternoon, the numbers are generally lower.

We have had a very large number of Double-crested Cormorants in the mornings. Today Fred tallied 35 on his eBird list, which can be seen here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51050318 https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51050318

Fred usually has a few American Goldfinches which I manage to miss, but today he pointed out a small flock on the northeast side of the big pond. Then, along the trail next to the dog park as we walked toward the Contra Costa Canal, we had a small flock of Cedar Waxwings.

Christmas Day I sang Happy Birthday to my bike as I entered the park. It was 60 years ago when it arrived in the garage of our Cincinnati apartment. It must have been one of the best presents ever, as I still ride it almost daily.

It was also in Cincinnati that we had a Cedar Waxwing crash the dining room window. We picked it up outside, brought it in, and my mom showed us a painting of it in a large National Geographic book from the 1930s. Thanks, Mom.

Hugh B. Harvey