Cesar Chavez Park - Lapland Longspur 11-22-2018

hoggsville

On our annual Thanksgiving morning outing, Noah Arthur and I observed and photographed a Lapland Longspur in the open low-cut weed section of Cesar Chavez Park this morning. It gave its rattle type flight call several times as it loosely associated with the many American Pipits (40+) dispersed throughout this area. I've been expecting to see a longspur here for some time!

Also of interest were 30 Mew Gulls (and one confused California Gull) surface feeding like phalaropes in the inlet.

Jack Hayden
Albany, CA