Heather Farm Park Walnut Creek Nov 19

rosita94598

It was in the low 40s this morning, but I rode my bike to the park anyway. About 75 Ring-necked Ducks were on the large, mostly natural pond. They looked to be maybe more males than females, but it is hard to say for certain.

It was a 4-sparrow day with the White- and Golden-crowned Sparrows, along with Song and Lincoln's Sparrows, two of the first, one of the second. It was probably too cold to bring out the continuing Tropical Kingbird; it has been seen more often in the later part of the afternoon.

Some afternoons there are between 150 and 200 Canada Geese on the ball fields, but this morning I had trouble to find even a couple in the park. Three Pied-billed Grebes were in the natural pond, along with two male and one female Buffleheads.

Hugh B. Harvey