Richmond Merlin & Kites

Sheila Dickie

Last evening, October 29, round about 6 p.m. there was a Merlin perched atop a telephone pole mid- 600 block on 30th Street, Richmond, two blocks North of Barrett. We have had a merlin in the neighborhood for the past 4-5 years, but this is the earliest date I can recall. A beautiful, heavily streaked bird that glowed in the sun.

Also, over the last 10 days there have been White-tailed Kites congregating in my neighborhood, mainly at dusk. Started with two birds atop a neighbors very tall redwood, then there were about 12 birds, some atop the tree others flying in and milling. Quite a sight. This does not happen every evening, but last Sunday a neighbor said there were 6 birds, and yesterday late afternoon there was one round about 4:30 p.m. It was harassed by crows but remained put, and finally disappeared 15 minutes later to be replaced by two hummingbirds! The kites fly East/South-East and do not roost in the mingling tree.

I would be interested to know if others have had this experience and have some insight into why the kites are acting this way.

Location: Very tall redwood mid 600-block 29th Street, Richmond, between Roosevelt and Grant; the tree is at rear of a yard abutting 28th Street.

Sheila Dickie
Richmond