Re: A murder of crows?

Bruce Mast

For several years now, I've been noticing large congregations of crows in winter time in downtown Oakland. By large, I mean 100s, if not 1000s of birds. I seem to recall prior EBB threads about similar concentrations in the Berkeley flats. My unscientific opinion is that our local crow population is exploding. During breeding season, they don't concentrate but they are still thick in all the neighborhood trees. I know the sycamores in the Piedmont hills are thick with crow nests. I'm increasingly concerned that rising crow populations are exerting more predatory pressure on nesting songbirds. I know any raptor that crosses Oakland air space these days does so at its peril.

Bruce Mast
Oakland

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 11:36 AM Lee Aurich lee@... [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply@...> wrote:

We see them heading north every evening around dusk.  And I have seen them heading south just before sunrise.  Hundreds of crows.  It appears they are going to different overnight roust locations; sometimes all together and sometimes separately.  It appeared once that perhaps a hundred gathered at Lake Merritt on the Grand Ave side; but I was unable to go visit to confirm.

We are viewing from the 6th floor of a building on the west edge of Lake Merritt.

   Lee
      Lee Aurich