Re: A murder of crows?

David Brostoff

On Oct 24, 2018, at 9:49 AM, Kay Loughman kayloughman@... [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply@...> wrote:

Who knows about crows, e.g why here, why now? I've lived in the hills on the Berkeley/Oakland border for most of the last fifty years. We see a few crows per month - no great numbers. But this last week I've seen as many as 100 birds at a time flying up and down Claremont Canyon, perching in trees and on rooftops. A neighbor took this photo a couple of days ago which reminded me of a similar photo taken by a different neighbor also during the third week of October, but in 2012. I've skimmed the BNA Online account for American Crow, and didn't see any plausible explanation, and believe our local crows don't migrate. So why are they here? Is there something special about October? Some delectable food source?
On lower Panoramic Hill in Berkeley, just north of Claremont Canyon, I have seen large numbers of crows on and off for the past 20 or 30 years.

Along with hawks, they weren't here when I first moved to this location in the late 1960s.

David