Pt. Pinole, Sunday, September 30

Sheila Dickie

Yesterday, September 30, early afternoon in the old parking lot I talked to a group of birders from Sacramento who had just finished birding the Point Pinole Regional Shoreline Park and had either 57 or 59 species including a Barn Owl flying near the Dotson Family Marsh.

I birded all afternoon: did not quite catch up to that number and did not see the owl. Brief summary of species follows:

At the pond off Owl Alley: 5 sparrows: Fox, Song, Lincoln's, White-crowned and Golden Crowned. Also Willow Flycatcher and Hermit Thrush.

Elsewhere: Two White-tailed Kites flying above the marsh opposite the pond on the Bay Side. One Osprey flying above them and one Osprey at the pier, sitting on the osprey nest. It took off toward Marin, and I lost sight of it. Throughout the park a few Yellow-rumped Warblers, White-crowned and Golden-crowned sparrows.

One Say's Phoebe in the rough meadow adjacent to the new Atlas Parking Lot the lawn/mulch area of which is a magnet for Western Bluebirds, House Finches, Lesser Goldfinches and Yellow-rumped Warblers.

Sheila Dickie
Richmond