Re: GGAS First Friday Bird Walk, September 7, 2018

George A Suennen

Alan,

Thanks for another great Friday Birdwalk, got to see a lot of migrants.  It started off foggy and cold, but ended up being a beautiful sunny day. I posted my photos at:

http://birds.avianist.com/2018/180907-Jewel-Lake

The only bird that I got that wasn't on your list was the Wilson's Warbler, I'm only 99% sure of the id since I didn't see the top of it's head. I included a couple of fuzzy/grainy shots for analysis/confirmation (off menu page 4).

Best Regards,
George
http://birds.avianist.com

On 9/7/2018 9:18 PM, Alan Kaplan lnkpln67@... [EBB_Sightings] wrote:

Friends!

Golden Gate Audubon Society First Friday Birdwalk, September 7, 2018, Tilden Nature Area, Berkeley, CA from the parking lot to Jewel Lake and back.

Today's theme was Molting (not plumages but physiology and ecology of molting). Textbooks and review articles and research results disagree about the roles of photoperiod, sex hormones, thyroxine-T4, prolactin and other influences on molting. Many sources say, "We don't know a lot about the physiology of molt”.

There are many strategies and adaptations for molting in birds. The most interesting things I learned are: Ducks (Mallards and Blue-winged Teals were studied) increase their leg muscles to make for faster water-surface or underwater escape from predators during flight-less periods due to wing-feather molts; Hummingbirds (Ruby-throated was studied) can fly with only three primaries on each wing during molt, and lose weight to have a wing-load almost the same as when they are full-feathered.

Here are the 32 species seen by 38 observers:

Wild Turkey 12
Mourning Dove 1
Vaux's Swift 2
White-throated Swift 2
Anna's Hummingbird 3
Turkey Vulture 3 makes it official!
White-tailed Kite 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Acorn Woodpecker 3
Downy Woodpecker 4
Nuttall's Woodpecker 2
Hairy Woodpecker 1 a Picidae Grand Slam!
Pacific-slope Flycatcher 1
Black Phoebe 1
Hutton's Vireo 1
Warbling Vireo 2