Brown Booby--Continuing late morning, 5/7

Judith Dunham

Mary Krentz and I saw the Brown Booby around 10:30 or so this morning. It first appeared flying in from the west in front of where we were stationed at the end of the dock along the USS Hornet. Johan Langewis, also present, first called out the bird. We then moved to the basin between the USS Hornet and the MV Cape Orlando and joined Aaron Maizlish for a second look as the bird made a circuit through the area and then dove. It took off and flew west, toward the breakwater. Mary and I went to the old runways west of Monarch Street, which has a good vantage on the breakwater and basins. After about 20 minutes or so, the bird did not show up again.

Judith Dunham
Berkeley, CA