Green Heron at Lake Merritt

Hilary Powers

Which shouldn't be news; there are always Green Herons at Lake Merritt, except that I haven't seen one there since last September. This was an adult, fishing from the rocks on the bird paddock side of the island nearest the nature center.

And the attempt to draw in the Black-crowned Night-Herons may be working. At any rate, I saw a dozen or maybe two - adults and juveniles both were everywhere around the islands and the paddock ponds. That's a lot more than in the past few months. No nests visible, but they always used to hide their nests on the islands.

The only Snowy Egrets visible were the decoys, though.

--
~ Hilary Powers - Hilary@... - Oakland CA ~
~ www.salamanderfeltworks.com; www.Etsy.com/shop/SalamanderFeltworks ~