Garin Region Park 04-30-18

Matthew Dodder

Yesterday, March 30, I visited a few places in Alameda County I wanted to become more familiar with. I began at Pleasanton Ridge Open Space Preserve finding it beautifully leafed-out. On a four-mile hike, I found few birds of note, but it was very nice to see so many VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS exploring possible nest sites. The ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS have definitely begun singing, and a single PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER called along the Sycamore Grove trail.

Next I visited Garin Regional Park where things really began to feel like spring, however no Orioles showed up for me. I found two more PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHERS, my first-of-season WARBLING VIREOS and a single FOS WILSON’S WARBLER. These were all along the creek leading south toward Jordan Lake. I also was happy to see a RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROW on the woodland trail beneath the lake.

Finally, I stopped into the Dry Creek Pioneer where the only new species was my FOS4TC (first-of-season-4-the-county) BARN SWALLOW.

Matthew Dodder
Mountain View

SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION:
Palo Alto Adult School will offer three different Birding classes this spring—Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced. Maybe one of these would be right for you! http://paadultschool.org/class/birding-nature/