Re: Miller-Knox RS Eastern Phoebe and second-hand HARRIS’S SPARROW

Logan Kahle

Hi All,

The phoebe continues 4:20-4:40, primarily between scarlet eucs, pines, and odd ogre-green pine-like trees just north of the marsh hawk picnic area. The bird is actively calling. It is similar but separable from Black Phoebe. I was not seeing any Blacks in the area so if you hear a phoebe there’s a good bet its the bird. Awesome find, Laura! This is just the third Contra Costa record.

On another note, Dan Roth reported a HARRIS’S SPARROW from Point Isabel today here: 37.906327,-122.322304 on a facebook group.

Good birding,
Logan Kahle
Richmond

On Mar 17, 2018, at 2:39 PM, Laura Look lauracaus@... [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply@...> wrote:

This morning (Sat., March 17), before the rain started, an Eastern
Phoebe was flycatching near the duck pond at Miller-Knox Regional
Shoreline in Richmond.

We first spotted it just after 11:00 am in the little trees on the
southeast (inland) edge of the duck pond. We watched it for about 20
minutes as it moved into the trees around the Marsh Hawk picnic area
and eventually to the trees across the paved trail near the large
cement auxiliary parking lot. When we returned to the area about
12:20 pm, it was back in the trees at the Marsh Hawk picnic area.

The overcast lighting was poor for photos, but we got some id shots:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/115418990@N03/albums/72157694598084485

Park info & map (includes location of Marsh Hawk picnic area #4):
http://www.ebparks.org/parks/miller_knox

The Marsh Hawk picnic area is close to the middle parking lot at the
south end of the duck pond.

Good birding,
--
Laura Look