American Wigeons - courtship flights at Garretson Pond

VerneN

Wigeons are seasonally monogamous and the female chooses her mate during January and February. I photographed what some call a courtship flight of the female swirling around the pond with three males in pursuit.

http://bit.ly/2spMpJT

If you go with this explanation, she may be testing their flying prowess. I speculate about other explanations in the photo's description. Can someone provide a definitive answer?

Irregardless, it's a great behavior to witness.

Garretson Pond, MLK Regional Shoreline Park, Oakland, CA