Re: GGAS First Friday Birdwalk February 2, 2018

George A Suennen

Alan,

Thanks for leading the group again. Always learn something new on these walks. I posted my photos from the walk at:

http://birds.avianist.com/2018/180202-Jewel-Lake

Good photos of the Hermit Thrush, California and Spotted Towhee, Golden-crowned, Song, and Fox Sparrows, plus a few others. I also got a few shots of a European Starling in the Eucalyptus trees by the parking lot and some American Crows in trees up the ridge on the bay side. These weren't on your checklist.

The one shot of the sapsucker was from the back and didn't show the head, not as good as I would have hoped... The other shots all had tree branches and trunks obscuring the view so I didn't bother to post those.

Best Regards,
George
http://birds.avianist.com

On 2/3/2018 6:18 PM, Alan Kaplan lnkpln67@... [EBB_Sightings] wrote:

Tilden Nature Area, Contra Costa, California, US
Feb 2, 2018, 8:30 AM - 11:40 AM

Golden Gate Audubon Society First Friday Birdwalk, February 2, 2018. Groundhog Day!
Walk to Jewel Lake and back again. Guest Phyllis E. came from Cleveland, OH.

Bird o' The Day was a Red-naped Sapsucker. George S. has pictures.

Groundhog saw his shadow, his old-soul, and returned to his den and will re-emerge without it and start spring, again (we hope sooner, rather than later!). See "Totemism and Civic Boosterism in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, 1899-1909" by Christopher R. Davis [Western Pennsylvania Historical Magazine, vol 68, number 2, April 1985] [available on-line].
Here are the 35 species seen by 37 observers:

Mallard
Bufflehead
Great Blue Heron flyover at the start of the walk
Green Heron
Turkey Vulture
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Virginia Rail
Band-tailed Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Anna's Hummingbird
Allen's Hummingbird
Belted Kingfisher
Acorn Woodpecker
Red-naped Sapsucker Seen at the Cotoneaster at the meeting place; George S. has photos, Johan L. saw it, too. I didn't see it, but these others are sure that's what they saw. You can go to "The Avianist" website to see George's photos, I think.
Black Phoebe
Hutton's Vireo
Steller's Jay
Common Raven