Varied Thrushes - Tilden Regional Park - 1/20

Paul Schorr

During a late morning outing to Tilden Regional Park, we birded along the closed South Park Drive and found at least four Varied Thrushes within the first 200 yards. South Park Drive is closed from Nov. 1 through March 31 to protect migrating newts. Consequently, our walk along the road was very pleasant without the flow of vehicles. We began across from the Botanic Gardens and continued perhaps a quarter of a mile, encountering lots of bird activity in addition to the thrushes.

Other noteworthy species included:

Wrentit (heard only)
California Thrasher (heard only)
Band-tailed Pigeons (~20)