The upside of down

Noah Arthur

(Couldn't resist this Chris August album name for the title of this post...)

The loss of birding opportunities in San Leandro is likely to actually benefit the birds themselves, I think. Gulls' feet can be harmed by standing around on concrete (such as the Marina parking lots where they currently loaf). With their loafing areas gone and the landfill driving them away, these gull populations will likely disperse to more healthy habitats. Likewise, with public access to parts of the Marina closed and boating activity greatly curtailed, reducing disturbance to birds, the ducks, shorebirds, and other waterbirds that use the Marina area will hopefully prosper, even if they do so out of sight of our binoculars and cameras...

Noah