Re: Arrowhead Marsh (10/29/2017) - Nelson's Sparrows - More Details Oct 30

Joe Morlan

Arrowhead Marsh West is scheduled to be "treated" with Imazapyr Herbicide
via both backpack and airboat on 13 November this year as part of an effort
to rid San Francisco Bay of non-native and hybrid Spartina.

This year's treatment schedule is at...

http://www.spartina.org/documents/2017_Treatment_Schedule_102017.pdf

Additional information is at...

http://www.sequoia-audubon.org/newsletters/Newsletter_Jan-March_2017.pdf

On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 12:46:02 -0700, "'Dave Weber' dwbirdster@...
[EBB_Sightings]" <EBB_Sightings-noreply@...> wrote:

First sighting was of one Nelson’s Sparrow. I was just across the bridge portion of the boardwalk looking back to the brushy shoreline west of the start of the boardwalk. In the first clump of bushes I saw a Nelson’s Sparrow perched at 9:25am. It disappeared but reappeared after a few minutes in the same place, then flew across
the channel to the marsh. I think this was getting close to high tide. Twenty minute later, while standing in the same place on the boardwalk, two Nelson’s Sparrows popped in the marsh grass along the west side of the boardwalk and were both in view long enough for Bob Dunn and Aaron Maizlish to get on them. This might help if the
birds continue. Four Blue-winged Teal were seen much earlier from the end of the boardwalk. Jerry, Jerry!

Dave Weber,

Milpitas