Heather Farm Park winter arrivals--Walnut Creek

rosita94598

Yesterday we found a pair of Ring-necked Ducks on the large, mostly natural pond in the park.  For a number of years now, we have had a flock of 40 or more ring-necked Ducks spend the winter in the park.  Perhaps this pair are the first arrivals.

A female Northern Shoveler has been present since last week; she hangs out with a pair of Mallards.

A couple of weeks ago, Fred Safier had a Wilson's Snipe fly over.  Yesterday while standing at the wooden observation railing, Fred and I saw a Snipe in the reeds across the water and to the right a bit.  This morning we had two of them.

Heather Farm Park is in the Ygnacio Valley of Walnut Creek

Hugh B. Harvey